Monday, August 29, 2016

The Finish Line, Sort of

So yesterday was a long day of putting the boat back together and completing my goal of getting out for a first sail by the weekend.  I decided earlier in the week that I had to be realistic and plan on having an unpainted (single coat of primer) hull if I was to make this goal. At this point I don't care how it looks, but just want to make sure all systems are functional.  Given that the paint takes a few long days to properly dry/cure, I don't want to do a fancy paint job only to have it all scratched up on a beach because the paint is still soft.

I got up early to get going and started by getting the thwart and coamings installed.  I also put on the vinyl Force 5 graphic in the aft end of the cockpit that I ordered from www.diylettering.com.  Very cool site; you can pretty much design any logo you want with a huge number of font selections and colors.  Once you are happy with design, you order and it prints out and ships that day.  It came with clear instructions on how to apply and while time will determine durability, it appears to be as good as any vinyl lettering (not that I'd know).

It seemed to be one of those days where stupid things kept happening that necessitated the need for multiple trips to local marine hardware store for stainless screws and various parts.  Anyway, I got it all done and moved onto rudder hardware and drain plug.  I used butyl tape all around for all parts in compression going into the hull.

Once I got all of that bedded and installed I moved onto rigging.  This ended up requiring 2 extra trips to marine store to get the padeye I had forgotten to buy for the main sheet block and some other padeyes for hiking strap for the thwart side attachment.  By my last visit (3 times total), the guy working there asked if maybe I should just bring the boat there and work on it in the parking lot so I don't have to do a separate trip each time I forget something.  I politely declined but I think he was probably right and might make a good side business renting slips in the parking lot for boat work.

Anyway, I got everything done and rigged the boat in my shop driveway. I ended up skipping the vang rigging because I had forgotten to buy line for the sheet traveler and decided that was more important than a vang for first sail (and I couldn't bear the thought of another trip to the marine store).

We didn't get out until 5PM and the wind was dying out so there wasn't much time, but I'm really happy with how things turned out.  The boat moves right along in the faintest of breeze and the few times it piped up a bit, I got a feel for how quick this boat will be.  Success.

Things to finish:
1. Paint hull
2. Rig vang (get vang line)
3. Bailer assembly.  I forgot to caulk in the bailer assembly and as a result it leaked quite a bit.
4. Keeper for daggerboard. Carpet and shock cord.


Rigging time




























My son got first sail
My turn, with my daughter taunting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment